iOS 15 makes FaceTime between Android and iPhone straightforward. Here’s how to try it now
This story is part of , our full coverage of the latest news from Apple headquarters.
Non-Apple folks have a cause to have fun: The days while you wanted an iPhone, iPad or Mac to be a part of a FaceTime video name are all however over. In a transfer broadly seen as Apple’s reply to, the software program big is making it potential for individuals who have Android telephones and Windows laptops to hop on FaceTime calls — no iPhone required.
That is not to say that Apple units are minimize out of the method. In truth, they’re nonetheless a lot a part of the center of FaceTime that the system will depend on the upcomingworking system — — to look and work extra like Zoom and . In addition to having the ability to video chat folks outdoors Apple’s bubble, a brand new and the flexibility to schedule calls, in addition to .
Whether you are downloading the iOS 15 developer beta now or planning to wait till the ultimate model arrives within the fall, this is how you may have the ability to be a part of FaceTime calls, it doesn’t matter what machine you are utilizing.
How to start a FaceTime call with Android or Windows users
The key here isn’t that the FaceTime app is coming to Android and Windows. It’s that you’ll be able to jump on a FaceTime call using a link, so long as the person scheduling or starting the call has an Apple device and an Apple account. If you are an Apple user and have downloaded iOS 15, here’s how to get a FaceTime call started with those on Android or Windows devices.
1. Open the FaceTime app on your phone.
2. Tap Create Link.
3. A screen will slide up from the bottom that says FaceTime Link. You can click Add Name to enter a name for your chat.
4. On the same screen, you’ll see options to share the link through text, email, Twitter, calendar or other apps you have on your phone. Or, you can copy and paste the link yourself.
5. To join the call yourself, tap the name of the chat you just created, and tap Join.
6. When the Android or Windows user clicks the link, it will take them to a waiting room where you can allow them to join the call by tapping a check next to their name.
How to join a FaceTime call using Android or Windows
To join a FaceTime call on an Android or Windows device, all you need is the link sent to you by the person with an Apple device. You don’t need to download a separate app. Here’s how to join a FaceTime call through a shared link.
1. Open the FaceTime link from wherever it was shared with you.
2. The link will open in your browser (you’ll need the latest version of Chrome or Edge). Enter your name, and tap Continue.
3. The screen will say “Waiting to be let in,” until the person who invited you approves you to join the call.
That’s it! Happy video chatting.
Apple noted atthat even on the web, FaceTime calls are always end-to-end encrypted.
For more, check out theseand .
This Web site is affiliated with Amazon associates, Clickbank, JVZoo, Sovrn //Commerce, Warrior Plus etc.